John 18
The Betrayal and arrest @ Gethsemane on Tuesday night. (continued from Jh 13:30)
1. Having said these things, Jesus proceeds out, together with His disciples across the winter-stream of Kidron, where there is a garden, into which He and His disciples entered.
2 And Judah, who betrayed/surrendered Him, was aware of the place, because Jesus often convenes there, with His disciples.
3. Then Judah, take a squad, even from the officers of Chief priests, and from the Pharisees, to come there with lanterns, and lamps and weapons.
4. therefore, being aware that all the people have come upon Him, Jesus proceeds out and asks them, who do you seek?
5. They answers Him, Jesus the Nazarene. And He tells them, I am. Moreover, even Judah, who would surrender Him, was standing among them.
A proof of availability but un-utilized Power
6. Therefore, as He tells them, I am, they went off backward, and fell down to the ground.
7. Then, He questions them again, who do yo seek? And they said, Jesus, the Nazarene.
8. Jesus responds, I have told you that, I am. Then, If you seek Me, let these ones go away.
9. At least, to fulfill the words He spoke; those whom are given to Me, none of them will perish.
10. Then, Simon Peter who has a dirk/short-sword, draw it, and strike the servant of the High Priest, and cut off his right-side ear. The name of the servant is, Malchus.
11. Then, Jesus tells Peter, Who would have drunk of the cup (fate) being given to Me? Not at all, of the same FATHER (with me). Throw the sword into the sheath.
Jesus was bound before the High-Priest
12. Then, the squad, and the commander of a thousand soldiers (chiliachos), and the officers of the Jews, arrest Jesus, and bind Him;
13. And they first of all, lead Him away towards Annas (Ananias); who is the father of the wife of Caiaphas, the High priest in the same year.
14. Caiaphas was the one who gave counsel to the Jews that, it is advantageous for one man to die for the people.
Peter renounces Jesus three times
15. Moreover, Simon-Peter and another disciple followed Jesus; that same disciple also is an acquaintance to the High Priest, and he entered together with Jesus into the Court of High priest.
16. But, Peter stands towards the door outside. Then, the other disciple (John the beloved), well known to the High Priest, come out and tells the doorkeeper, even to bring-in Peter.
17. Then, a female servants who is a door keeper, tells Peter, are you not one of the disciples of this Man? And He said, I am not. (1st time)
18. Moreover, servants and officers are standing, making fire of coals to warm themselves - because it was cold- and Peter also was standing with them, warming himself. (cont. in vs 25)
The High-priest condemned Jesus
19. Then, the High priest questions Jesus about His disciples, and about His teachings.
20. Jesus answered him, I openly preach to the world; and I always teach in the synagogue and in the temple, where the Jews always convene, and I never preach anything in the secret.
21. Why do you question Me? Interrogate those who have heard what I preached to them; behold, they are aware of what I said.
22. having said this thing, one servant standing by, gave Jesus a slap, and says, howbeit, how could You answer a High Priest that way?
23. Jesus answers him, if I preach depraved things, testify against the evil; but if (I have preached) well, why beating Me?
24. Annas then sent Him bound, towards Caiaphas, the High Priest. (cont. in vs 28)
(From vs 18) Cock crows after Peter denied Jesus
25. Therefore, as Simon Peter was standing even to warm himself. (They) also said to Him, are you not even one of His disciples? And he denied, and said, I am not. (2nd time)
26. One of the servants, who is a relative of the High Priest, whom Peter cut off his ear, says, didn't I see you in the garden with Him?
27. Peter then denied again (3rd time), and immediately a cock crowed.
From (vs 24) Jesus was delivered to the heathen Rulers: Pilate and Herod, for Trial on the feast day. (Ash Wednesday)
28. Therefore, as it was day-break, they lead Jesus away from Caiaphas unto Praetorium (court-room). But they did not enter into the Praetorium, at least not to be defiled to eat the Passover.
29. Then, Pilate proceeds outside towards them, and says, what category of offence did you bring forth against this Man?
30. They answer and tell him, if this man has never done evil, why should we possibly surrender Him to you?
31. Pilate then tells them, you should have taken hold of Him, and judge Him according to your law. The Jews tells him, it is not right for us to kill anyone.
32. At least to fulfill the words of Jesus, which He said to indicate what kind of death He is about to die.
33. Pilate then enters into the Praetorium again, and calls Jesus, and tells Him, are You the king of the Jews?
34. Jesus answers: do you say this from yourself, or others told you this about Me?
35. Pilate answers, if at all; am I a Jew? Your nation, and the Chief Priests, delivered You to me. What have You done?
36. Jesus answers, My kingdom is not of this world. If My kingdom is of this world, My officers would possibly have contended, at least, not to be surrendered to the Jews. But, for now, My kingdom is not from here.
37. Pilate then tells Him, are You a king, then? Jesus answers, you were told that I Am a King. I am born unto this thing, and have come into the world unto this same thing; at least to testify to the truth. And all who are of the truth, had listened to My voice.
38. Pilate asks Him, what is the Truth? And having said this, he proceeds again towards the Jews, and tells them, I do not find one aught of crime in Him.
Jesus substituted Himself for Bar-abbas, a criminal, by Agape-Love: (it could be you)
39. Moreover, It is a custom, to at least pardon one of your person for you, in Passover feast; therefore, are you willing that the king of the Jews be released for you?
40. Then, they clamor again, saying, not this man, but Bar-Abbas (son of his father). Howbeit, Barabbas was a brigand (robber)!
No comments:
Post a Comment